Al Boenker Insurance Blog - Know Your Rights as a Renter
Feb 08, 2018
Know your rightsAre you looking to rent? When it comes to houses or an apartment there are a couple of things that may not come to mind when you sign your lease. As a renter, you have rights just as much as the landlord. Make sure you have a written agreement. Although an oral agreement may seem easier, there is nothing to reference later in case of a conflict. Here are a couple of laws to know when renting that protect you.
- The Peace and Quiet law gives you the right to "quiet enjoyment" meaning the landlord cannot evict without cause and disturb your right to live in peace and quiet.
- Health and Safety law gives you the right to demand any repairs that affect your health and safety. The landlord guarantees that the unit will be suitable for living. Under certain conditions made in your lease agreement may determine what you will have to take off. (Another reason you need a written agreement)
- Security law provides you with the basic security devices such as deadbolts, key latches, window lock latched, sliding door pins, and door views. If they are not provided this is expense your landlord needs to take care.
- Terminate the lease
- File a lawsuit for the repairs (small claims or contact the Better Business Bureau)
- Have the issue repaired and deducted from the rent